Friday, September 19, 2008

Guess whose back?


Well. Here I am. Whether you are disappointed or not, I suppose is up to you. I realize that I haven't blogged for quite sometimes. SO for the few people that actually read this page, I am sorry. Spewing out my thoughts sometimes is difficult due to the fact that I have about 1 million thoughts a minute (yes this is about the speed my brain runs at). So articulating these thoughts is tough, but organizing them is almost impossible. SO here is a vague attempt at letting all of you who read this page know what I am thinking lately.
Well: A lot. My summer was a whirlwind. I am trying to figure out about one word that describes it. And yet again the frustration of reductionism has got my tongue. DIFFICULT. There that is the word I am looking for. I was on a crew of potentially the wildest bunch that I have yet met in my life. I seem to be arrogant in my past mind-set sort of thinking "I have done this for three years now, I have seen all there is to see out tree-planting". Well this was my prideful downfall. I don't know that I was on a crew that really fit my personality. They loved to party and do everything that goes along with that. Not that I have anything against having a good time, because (those that know me) know how much I love to have a good time. BUT this was a little over the top. And I found my introverted side coming out a lot more in the bush. Matt came out and joined me which of course helped being in that atmosphere immensely. I would have to say a thousand times over that I am glad that is finished and I am home with some money and in one piece ;)
What have I been learning? Hmmm, for those who don't know I have decided to step out into the realm of social work. And thus pursue a "career" (I use that term very loosely, because I think a life-style of social work is what we should be doing regardless of our "career"). I find the interesting part is the reactions to this choice. There are the odd few who really encourage and tell me that what I am deciding to do is a good thing. The common reaction is that of "are you crazy? You will burn out in no time!". I appreciate their concern, and as much as they might be right I still see it as something that I must do.
What is the goal? Well.....the goal is to bring God's kingdom here. But on a more very practical level, one of my goals is to unite the church with what a lot of agencies are doing currently. Many social service agencies are bound due to bureaucracy and government regulations. They are not allowed to form a relationship with clients outside of the work environment. And though this is in some situations is helpful, when the client has finished the program they go back into the environment they were in and easily fall back into their old life-style. So where does the church come in? Well, I think the church is suppose to be a community. And one couldn't ask for a better community of support for people who are working through addictions, mental illnesses and a variety of other issues to help them get back on their feet. One of the most common themes of success stories, is a loved one that stood by them until the end, or a loving community that supported and assisted them. I don't think the church has the option in this case. I think now is the time for the church to be stepping up to the ball. I realize that many individuals disagree with me, or perhaps they don't but they simply don't know what to do. Well, I think partnering with an agency (and I don't mean just volunteering once and a while) is a beneficial thing. I know that sometimes dogma gets in the way, but there is so much to be done I wish for once we could simply work together. I realize the answers are not that clear (one of the reasons I am going into social work, to better understand the problems), yet I think it is important that we wrestle with finding an answer and quickly because people are dying.

Today I went to a seminar on human trafficking. It was really well done. I find this topic always enrages me, and then this rage manifests itself in other areas (usually at the expense of the my loved ones...I am so sorry). So today I created my idea of a perfect world. Sometimes when the weight of the world seems so overwhelming, it is nice to imagine the world as perhaps it was intended.

So here is my perfect world:
A world that is run on love. Where every human being is loved unconditionally, and thinks of their fellow human before themselves.
Where there is no discrimination, where every human being as the right too and access to the basics needs of survival, love, and the pursuit of a higher education.
Where every human being is treated as equal.
Where there is no such thing as money, but all humans share.
Where there is no one that goes hungry. No one that goes cold. No one that goes jobless. No one that has an addiction. No one that treats another human being as an object, or a thing to be used. Where there is no abuse. No diseases. No tears.
Where there is unity and harmony.
Where everyone dances.

1 comment:

Sharon Kent said...

Hmmmmm....sounds like heaven, to me.

A friend and I were discussing the problems of the world too, the other day. We came to the conclusion that if one person really helped another person who was in need, that would be an enormous thing. Just one. And then another....and another....

When we look at the whole messy picture, it becomes somewhat overwhelming but seeing that one soul who is dying of neglect or abuse or poverty or any number of things...and we take it upon ourselves to help that person, my friend and I figured that was how God did it. One person at a time. One healing at a time. One discussion at a time. He did speak to the masses too, but he had some pretty good helpers with him.

You will learn things as you go, I think, Kim. Try not to be overwhelmed but it is good that you have "eyes to see".

Keep on dear.